Pages

Sunday, April 20

Is Jesus God?

If Jesus Never Called Himself God, How Did He Become One

For the author states, "During his lifetime, Jesus himself didn't call himself God and didn't consider himself God, and ... none of his disciples had any inkling at all that he was God."

The author has to first discredit the Book of John for the above statement to be true, or so he thinks, with clever phrases such as, "This is not an unusual view amongst scholars; it's simply the view that the Gospel of John is providing a theological understanding of Jesus that is not what was historically accurate."

I'm curious how many scholars does it take to define "not unusual". It is word play like this that indicates the author does not have a genuine interest in honest dialogue (along with the dismissal of the Book of John).   

According to the author, the following scriptures should be ignored...

  • The woman said, “I know that Messiah, which is called Christ, is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.” Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.” John 4:25-26
  • "Very truly I tell you," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!" John 8:58.
  • 33 Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" 34 "Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?" 35 "Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "Your own people and chief priests handed you over to me. What is it you have done?" 36 Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place." 37 "You are a king, then!" said Pilate. Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me." John 18:33-37

The author goes on to attack the Holy Trinity, Jesus' burial, and supports this thesis "Jesus never called himself God" with opinion and assumptions. He fails to highlight the following scriptures... and thinks they should also be ignored...


  • Mark 15:2, "Are you the king of the Jews?" asked Pilate. "You have said so," Jesus replied.
  • Luke 23:3, So Pilate asked Jesus, "Are you the king of the Jews?" "You have said so," Jesus replied.
  • Matthew 27:11, ... meanwhile Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor asked him, "Are you the King of the Jews?" "You have said so," Jesus replied.

I could continue to show that, although Jesus never directly said "He is God", He didn't need to identify Himself as such, because to those Jews who knew the OT, understood who He was, including His disciples. There are many examples where others called Him Lord, The Messiah, The King of the Jews and He did not correct them. If someone calls me the wrong name, I either 1. do not know they are speaking to me or 2. I correct them by stating my name to them.

I'll end with the following:
  • [Jesus] said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." Matthew 16:16 

No comments: